Faculty, Staff, & Student Orgs.
"In doing we learn."
~George Herbert, Poet
Faculty Community Engagement and Service-Learning Information
What is service-learning?
The most widely accepted definition of Service-Learning states it is "a course-based, credit-bearing education experience in which students (a) participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs, and (b) reflect on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility." (Bring and Hatcher, 1995).
Faculty benefits for offering service-learning?
Faculty benefits to offering service-learning?
- Easier to engage with students who have different learning styles.
- Attract civic-minded students to your course.
- Encourage active learning where students and community partners contribute to the learning process.
- Service-learning experiences add new insights and dimensions to classroom discussions.
- Foster relationships between UCR students to Riverside community organizations, which can open other opportunities for collaborative work.
- Diversify your CV.
- Make a positive impact in our community.